Button: Hayz's BooksPhotobucketButton: ReviewsPhotobucket

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Crazy Beautiful

Crazy Beautiful
Lauren Baratz-Logsted
2009

Entering the bus now is perfection. And it's not just the clothes and accessories, which makes her look as though she just walked out of the pages of the coolest back-to-school catalogue in the world. It's not that in a world that most always looks like black and white to me, she's like this shocking blaze of color. It's not any of that. I's that with that cloud of long black curls, she's like some sort of dark angel. And it's that when my eyes meet hers, eyes that are the color of a serene ocean, she gives me a quick smile, a nervous smile.
Immediately, I recognize that she's new too, that she's nervous too.
And I recognize something else: I know her. I don't mean that we've met before, because we haven't. I don't even know her name! somehow, instantly, I know her.

I would give a lot to see that smile
again, directed at me.
It may not be much, but I would give
everything I've got.

In an explosion of his own making, Lucius blew his arms off. Now he has hooks. He chose hooks because he wouldn't outgrow them so quickly. He chose hooks so that everyone would know he was different, so he would scare even himself.
Then he meets Aurora. The hooks don't scare her. They don't keep her away. In fact, they don't make any difference at all to her.
But to Lucius, they mean everything. They remind him of the beast he is inside. Perhaps Aurora is his Beauty, destined to set his soul free from its suffering.
Or maybe she's just a girl who needs love just like he does.

-Hayz's Review-
I didn't like this book because it was so short and by the time something actually started to happen the book was over. I liked the idea of the book being a retold story of Beauty and the Beast, but I don't know. I give this one star because I didn't like it.
-Hayz's Rating-
*