Button: Hayz's BooksPhotobucketButton: ReviewsPhotobucket

Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Chosen

The Chosen
Chaim Potok
1967

Here is a classic novel about the unlikely friendship that develops between two boys in 1940s Brooklyn. Reuven Malther is a secular Jew with an intellectual, Zionist father; Danny Saunders is the brilliant son and rightful heir to a Hasidic rebbe. Together they navigate the emotional terrain of adolescence and the demands of family, and a crisis of faith when stories of the Holocaust begin to emerge on the shores of America. The Chosen is a profound, deeply moving story of fathers and sons . . . and of the enduring power of love.




-Hayz's Review-
I had to read this book for school, and I was so mad when my teacher assigned us this book, because until half way through the book I hated it! Then I finally realized that "Hey, this book isn't so bad." So I finished it and I really liked it. The meaning behind the story was really good, and I made me think about my past, I became really good friends with one of my enemies once.
-Hayz's Rating-
*****

Carzz's Review
I really think it is super funny that Hayz could enjoy this book, while I wanted to rip it to pieces and then burn those pieces.
I felt this book lacked a lot of things that books need in order to make them half way decent.
Personally, I wouldn't ever recommend this book to anyone, I'm not one who is big on torture by books, but if you are feeling masochistic (the act of turning one's destructive tendencies inward or upon oneself) any time soon, then by all means, go ahead and read it. =)
Carzz's Rating
--------